Saturday, January 5, 2008

recovering vacant property

Steve Ferrell of United Way and Chester Jourdan of MORPC* lobbied hard for the passage of HB 138 and it passed, 90-2. From Greater Ohio

Vacant and abandoned properties, a growing problem throughout the state of Ohio, are increasingly havens of crime and vandalism, as well as perpetuating the decline in adjacent property values. HB 138’s provisions will help begin to turn the tide against those vacant property owners who are difficult, if not impossible, to locate due to improperly or unfiled deeds.
“HB 138 provides a crucial tool to expedite vacant property redevelopment in our communities—although additional tools are needed. ReBuild Ohio is thrilled to have played a role in educating policymakers about the need for new legislation to address the vacancy and abandonment problem throughout the state and will continue to do so,” said Greater Ohio Co-Director Lavea Brachman, who also co-chairs ReBuild Ohio, a statewide consortium concerned with the vacancy and abandonment issue.
I really hope that this bill makes it through the Senate. Organizations like Lien Forward Ohio have already done to help citizen reclaim vacant properties and this will continue that effort.

The Southside is one vacant property after another. Anything that can be done to get this land into the hands of responsible citizens gets my vote. My parents are considering buying the two vacant properties adjacent to theirs. They are worried about it increasing their property value and then their property taxes being more than they can afford. Does anyone know anything the taxable worth of a lot in Youngstown? I hope it's not much because I just found out that I can't grow tomatoes here in Worthington due to my neighbor's giant Black Walnut tree and I'm thinking my Dad would grow way more tomatoes if he suddenly had 3x as much land.

Also, Steve Ferrell told me about a United Way program that pays for roof replacements and repairs for low income households. I had looked at the United Way website before and found the information but now I can't find it. Anyone know where I can find information about it? I'd like to post a link.


*Does NE Ohio have a Mid Ohio Regional Planning Commission equivalent?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Youngstown has a Community Improvement Corporation. But this is the same group that proposed bulldozing federal street.

Jem said...

you don't think that was a good idea?

Unknown said...

All I know is that it caused a major hubbub and created a standing room only crowd at City Council. Everyone from judges to chairwomen were there.

The Stage said...

there is a very, very limited amount of non-profits that do home repairs like that...interfaith is one, but they are always booked up...and also these groups have guidelines and limits.

welcome to the blogosphere! i'll put you on my blogroll if you put me on your's ;)

-- b

Debra Weaver said...

The easiest way to find out the value of properties and the amount of taxes on them is to go the the Mahoning County Auditor's Website and do a address search. The window that comes up willl list the fair market value and the taxes and whether or not the taxes are up to date or have been sold to a lien collector.Another way to get at the same information is to go to www.netronline.com go to the state of Ohio and the County of Mahoning (all from the home page) and then go to the Mahoning County Auditor's office. Welcome to the blogosphere, and I will add you to my blog if you add me to yours: http://www.youngstownmoxie.blogspot.com